tenancy agreement UK

Managing Tenancy Best Practice.

Managing tenancy-Best practise


Landlord responsibilities

You’re a landlord if you rent out your property. This means you have responsibilities, including:

  • Checking your tenant’s right to rent
  • Keeping your rented properties safe and free from health hazards
  • Making sure all gas and electrical equipment you supply is safely installed and maintained
  • Following fire safety regulations
  • Providing an Energy Performance Certificate for the property
  • Protecting your tenant’s deposit in a government-approved scheme
  • Complying with carbon monoxide & smoke detector Regulations


Right to rent immigration checks from 1 February 2016


·        It is a legal requirement for landlords renting out private accommodation to check documentation to ensure a prospective tenant has valid permission to be in the UK. Failure to do so could lead to a financial penalty of up to £3000 per tenant.

·        Tenancies signed before this date are not affected if there is no break in the tenancy agreement. All adults (aged 18 and over) living in the property should be checked regardless of whether they are named on the tenancy.

·        If a student is arranging a tenancy in advance from overseas, these can be agreed in principle if document checks are carried out before the property is occupied.


Carbon monoxide & smoke detectors requirements from 1 October 2015

·        From the 1st October 2015 regulations require both smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms to be installed in rented residential accommodation.

·        Changes are also made to the licence requirements in relation to houses in multiple occupation (HMOs), such as shared houses and bedsits which require a licence and also in relation to properties which are subject to selective licensing.

·        This Guidance is based on draft regulations which have been published. The Regulations apply both to houses and flats.

·        Failure to comply can lead to a civil penalty being imposed of up to £5,000.

Tenancy deposit protection schemes

  • “In England and Wales, if you rent out your home on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007, you must place your tenants’ deposit in one of the following tenancy deposit protection (TDP) schemes:”


Gas safety responsibilities

“Your landlord must:

  • Make sure gas equipment they supply is safely installed and maintained by aGas Safe registered engineer
  • Have a registered engineer carry out a gas safety on each appliance and/or flue annually
  • Give you a copy of the gas safety check record before you move in, or within 28 days of the check “



Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is:

  • Built
  • Sold
  • Rented


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *